DC has a job posting for a Group Editor to oversee its Batman titles. This is a position formerly held by Mark Doyle from February 2014 until his recent promotion to Executive Editor. The question of who would succeed him is one both creators and staffers working on Bat-titles have been wondering about... and with good reason; according to DC's job posting, those titles account for "approximately 1/3 of the profitability of our publishing line."
"DC Comics seeks a Group Editor for the Editorial- DC Comics department. Position will manage and oversee an editorial group dedicated to the Batman Family, as well as specified DC Universe, which present approximately 1/3 of the profitability of our publishing line," reads the job posting. "Create new storylines that expand the character mythos and build on the existing foundation of the DC Universe."
- Manage the editorial product based on existing IP and leverage their wide, commercial appeal to expand readership.
- Identify and develop new, world building editorial product designed to expand on the franchise or group of titles when and if possible with the key creative stakeholders of the licensed IP.
- Manage the creative process for editorial products from conception through publication. Ensure that schedules and quality standards are met.
- Seek to innovate and utilize new technologies to best reach existing fans of licensed IP and brand build with IP partners.
- Seek ways to freshen ongoing series with new talent and story lines.
- Oversee approval process to streamline and optimize communication and collaboration between editorial and IP stakeholders.
- Supervise and develop team members.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- 7-10 years directly related editorial experience.
- 2+ years experience managing a creative team.
- Ability to manage a creative team.
- Knowledge of comic book industry strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of art (ability to discuss composition, design, etc…) required.
- Copyediting and proofreading skills preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines required.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing required.
- Ability for some light travel strongly preferred.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with managers and other levels of personnel.
- Must have the ability to pay close attention to details.
- Must have the ability to organize.
- Must have the ability to work well under time constraints.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple project elements simultaneously.
- MAC/PC proficiency required.
- Domestic travel up to 10%